Sunday, January 25, 2009

A few terms

Originally published on Sept.2 2008

Since my appointment is not for another week and a half, there is nothing going on in this journey, at least nothing you want to hear about. Did I just type that? I think I did.

So, I have decided to look up a few terms and give out some definitions… I will probably do more on another post.

Fertilization
The penetration of the egg by the sperm and the resulting fusion of genetic material that develops into an embryo.

hCG
Human chorionic gonadotropin. This is also the hormone pregnancy tests (blood and urine) detect.

IVF (in vitro fertilization) procedure that involves removing eggs from a woman’s ovaries and fertilizing them in the laboratory. The resulting embryos are then transferred into the woman’s uterus through the cervix.

LH Surge
The increase in luteinizing hormone in your urine. You are most likely to become pregnant if you have intercourse within 36 hours after you detect your LH surge.

No comments: